BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

science olympiad

Science Olympiad is an event for mid-school to high-school kids. You sign up for whichever section you would like (theres everything from the study of reptiles to building boomilevers) and then you study for them for 4 months, and then the competition is in February at UNM.
I'm in Science Olympiad this year, and I signed up for Oceanography and Forensics.
My friend and Oceanography partner, Melodie, comes over every Tuesday and we compare notes from our college Oceanography textbooks we bought online. I'm not too crazy about Oceanography- and you shouldn't be an Oceanographer unless you don't mind being alone on a small boat, braving the elements for months at a time. (i mind :P)

I had my first Forensics practice today. I think I'm going to really enjoy this one, even though I will be studying frantically until February because I haven't done much of that lately. The reason I chose this event is because I think I might actually like to do that for a living. That and I want to learn how to analyze a person's behavior, and tell whether or not they're a psycho killer. I love to watch that TV show Criminal Minds, because that's what they do on the show- they have missing people, some of them might show up somewhere (dead), then they have to figure out stuff about the crime with forensic methods, and eventually they find the psycho killer dude by studying his behavior and matching everything up. (Criminal Minds is the best crime show on television- very little "CSI/FBI drama" they cut straight to the chase)
Also Forensics is a cool event to be in because you can slosh chemicals around in test tubes and laugh at the world.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like Science Olympiad on the whole.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Doug is in Science olympiad. He tells me much about it; fun stuff like building a ridiculously light tower out of balsa wood that can hold up to like 15 pounds...or more...I don't recall. Sounds entertaining.

After His Heart said...

forensic science is my dream job :D
however, forensics is more about evidence, not exactly studying people, that's more psychology